Friday, January 18, 2008

Thoughts on Marriage

My mom sent me an email today that was rather cute. It was 9 and 10 year olds' opinion on dating and marriage. It got me curious to know what my boys would say to these same questions, so I conducted some interviews:

Question #1
How do you decide who you want to marry?

Jake: "Well, she needs to be nice, sweet, likes me, and I like her back. Oh, and it'd be nice if she was pretty."
Chris: "I don't want to get married"

Question #2
What is the right age to get married?
Jake: "20 - it's a good age. And really, you should only know half of the stuff about each other before you're married. You learn the deep stuff AFTER you get married!"
Chris: "18 - because I just picked a number"

Question #3
What do you do on a date?
Jake: "You eat, talk, and have fun with each other."
Chris: "I don't know...I've never been on a date!"

Question #4
When is it okay to kiss?
Jake: "You can kiss a little before you're engaged, and a little more after you're engaged."
Chris: "Never!"

Question #5
Is it better to be single, or married?
Jake: "Married. That way you're not alone and you have someone to cook food for you so you don't have to eat out of cans."
Chris: "Single. You get to do whatever you want, whenever you want."

Question #6
How do you make a marriage work?
Jake: "Try not to fight, like the same stuff, decide on things equally, and let your kids know what's going on sometimes."
Chris: "How should I know?! I'm not getting married!"


I had to laugh at these responses, just because Chris is so adamant about not getting married. One of these days, I'm going to video tape him saying so....that way I have something fun to play at his wedding!

I'm impressed with Jake's wisdom. For such a young guy, he seems to have a good idea of what type of character it takes to be in a healthy relationship. I found him not wanting to eat out of cans quite humorous though! I really hope his wife is a good cook!

2 comments:

Florence and Gary Deeter said...

Jacob is wise beyond his years. And Chris--well, he sounds all boy at his age.

Grandpa D

Dana said...

That's so cute! :) It'll be interesting to see when Chris changes his mind about girls!! :)